Feel-good Buying

I'm Annie and I am addicted to new things (much to MG's dismay). Ghandi would not approve of my smorgasbord of material possessions. I have never bought a LV or a Coach bag because I cannot get past the sticker shock (and to my not-chic self, I like the bags at Marshall's and thrift shops more). Just because you like new things does not mean you must live in a state of guilt, mis amigas! My innately guilty conscience and I have found several ways to make buying into a good habit. Plus when you gift these items, your friends can't say "you shouldn't have!" Because really, you should've. Here's why...

NOONDAY 

My creative, lovely sis-in-law Katie introduced me to Noonday. Noonday is a movement more than a shopping venue, but read their story and you will want to stock up on uniquely beautiful items from these talented artisans in developing countries. The chart below shows the impact Noonday is making and one you can get in on by buying Noonday! Talk about feel-good purchases. Join the movement!



UNLOCK HOPE

Buy from Unlock Hope and pay for a Ugandan girl's education. Unlock Hope is constantly rolling out new tees with inspiring mantras reflective of their mission. Many Ugandan children wear keys around their necks which unlock small lock boxes encasing all of their belongings. Buy a tee and a key and know you're assisting the education of women in Uganda, despite their culture's message that women do not need an education.

Think Humanity hostel in Uganda


To unlock something means to make something previously in-accessible available for use. Hope is defined as a desire of good accompanied with a belief that it is obtainable. To a young refugee in Uganda hope is an education. 

My Gretel and me, modeling my Unlock Hope tee. Print reads "Where there is love, there is life."

22STARS

Based out of the Netherlands, 22Stars markets jewelry made in Uganda and offers free worldwide shipping. I have not yet ordered from them, but I want to back their mission:


We want to help people out of poverty by making sure that they can provide for themselves. Therefore, we work side-by-side with our designers who live in the Acholi Quarter in Kampala (Uganda). By giving our designers a plan to market and sell their products internationally they are able to earn a steady income. 22STARS believes that to really empower people to provide for themselves they need more than that: Part of our net profit will be used to finance our 22STARS projects, educating our designers and their children; they receive English lessons, learn about Income Generating Activities (IGA), get social support, and music, dance and drama classes.


Please share any great-cause boutiques you know of! Always on the lookout for more.

More great-cause venues to shop (thanks to friends!) below:
Amazon Smile
Sevenly
Global Girlfriend
Coastal